1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
- worked my ass off on a high-profile project
- burned out
- made mistakes
- got fired
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- try to see the big picture
- get out of the chair, away from the laptop, do something
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
nope, though a couple of fandom friends had babies, it's been fun watching her their posts. Some of my friends are now grandmothers.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don't think so
5. What did you do with your annual leave / vacation time?
Recuperated from being fired (I had 4 weeks vacation accumulated)
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Motivation, context, control
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- The day the big project went live.
- The day I lost my job
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Discovering I could work 11 hour days and produce enough stuff
- making a Halloween costume for my daughter
- Going to almost all my daughter's performances
9. What was your biggest disappointment?
- Myself for focusing on the immediate work and not the long-term needs
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Depression the whole time, a bout of bad anxiety when starting job-hunting
11. What was your money strategy this year?
"Keep on top of things". I did that most of the year, filed taxes on time etc. I still need to see someone about investing in an annuity.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Black Lives Matter activists
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My son, who has lots of excuses but is still sitting on his ass most days. He needs to make changes and grow up. I hate to say it, but when I was his age, I was enjoying the university a lot, had gone places and done stuff, was self-supporting (grants and parents) and engaged to my dear Ed.
And that the Republican Party voters are such idiotic asshats who are telling pollsters they'd vote for Trump or Carson -- who couldn't president themselves out of a paper bag!
14. Where did most of your money go?
Groceries for four, books and videos, car repair & insurance, home insurance, property tax, savings, getting the house re-shingled and painted, (halfway done!), non-profit donations
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- My daughter going to China on a study tour.
- My job for a while.
16. Did you get excited about any art/culture this year?
Hobbit fix-it fic has been excellent
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? sadder
b) thinner or fatter? the same
c) richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Taking advantage of where I live and that I have enough money to do stuff (My depression & anhedonia are like a gravitational pull away from me even going out the door.)
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Sitting on my ass
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We always go up to see my sister-in-law in Chico and chill out. We should sing some carols next year.
We also had Hannukah at our house with lots of latkes and presents and stuff. Just us, my mom, my brother and his wife, lots of laughs. My mom would love us to sing more.
And the Persian Yalda (midwinter) celebration was nice, interesting people to talk with, girl danced with the adult classes for the first time.
21. What relationships stand out in your memory this year?
- It hurts too much to think about the people at my old company
- My mom, who broke her hip in January and was walking by June. She did great and I did well in taking care of her.
22. What was your favourite TV program?
Miss Phryne Fisher!
23. Did you undertake any creative projects or adventures?
Not really. I went to Costa Rica with my old company which was exhilarating at the time, but really painful in retrospect.
24. What did you want and get?
- A reasonably calm year as a parent of a teen
- Six months of a good job.
25. What did you want and not get?
- the other six months of a good job
- son to make some progress in life
26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
We went to one of my favorite restaurants, the food was excellent and my son loved it, it was really nice to bond over something. I am 55.
My mom broke her hip the next day.
27. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A chance to fix my mistakes.
28. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Jeans, because everyone at the office wore (expensive, tidy) jeans.
29. What kept you sane?
My husband, our sweet little house, all of my corner of fandom
30. Who did you miss?
My dad, always. Some of my old friends I've lost touch with. Some cousins.
31. Who was the best new person you met?
A bunch of lovely folks in Hobbit fandoms, especially http://demonessryu.tumblr.com
32. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015
Always step back, see the big picture, ask dumb questions, require management to define benefits vs costs vs timing before agreeing to projects
33. Something new that worked out really well for you during the year?
My daughter's mostly-undramatic progress through high school. Second semester of AP Chem looms over us.
34. Most useful piece of advice or comment I received:
Don't burn out
35. What personal motto has emerged from this year for you?
"Think before you agree"
36. What are your plans for 2016?
Two of my Best Fandom Friends from the ooooold days of 2003-4 LotRPS, hanarobi
are coming here for MY birthday! No one has ever done that before for me. I'm all melty-happy about it.